We are pleased to announce that the Hydro-JULES intern 2024 programme will be inviting applications from January 2024.
What is the Hydro-Jules Intern Programme?
The Hydro-JULES intern programme offers students from hydrology and environmental science backgrounds the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working at UKCEH alongside a diverse and collaborative team of Hydro-JULES scientists.
Interns will get experiential learning opportunities in the scientific research sector and a meaningful internship experience that will support their academic, professional, and personal development.
We offer full time employment posts for a fixed six-week period, located at our Wallingford site. Hybrid working will not be considered. Successful applicants will be paid at the B8 rate plus benefits to include paid holiday pay (3 days), sick pay, pension etc. The dates to be announced shortly but are likely to run from July - August.
NOTE: Accommodation is NOT provided by UKCEH. Successful applicants are responsible for finding and for covering the costs for the duration of the internship. We will be happy to provide any advice as needed.
Who is eligible?
We are looking for candidates who are excellent communicators, numerate and who are passionate about hydrology and climate. Depending on the project, skill sets may differ but applicants must:
- Be currently in full time education at university (2nd year and upwards undergraduate student, Masters) and returning to university following the placement
- Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
- Studying a relevant degree
- Comfortable working independently
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong team player who is comfortable giving and receiving feedback openly
How do I apply?
The application process will open in January 2024 (date to be announced shortly). Applicants will be asked to submit:
- a covering letter explaining briefly their motivation for applying to the programme; and clearly indicates the project(s) for which they wish to be considered for and why
- a short CV indicating educational and professional experience, and publications (if any)
- a letter of support from their supervisor, tutor, director of studies or equivalent confirming that they are content for the applicant to undertake the proposed summer internship will be requested
Applicants must also agree to:
- Provide a one-page report to the Project Manager describing the visit and its accomplishments and a short testimonial within 30 days of completion of the visit;
- Appear in publicity and promotion materials for UKCEH
- Agree to produce and present a poster at the Hydro-Jules stakeholder event in autumn 2024.
- Acknowledge the support of Hydro-JULES funds in any publications or presentations arising from the visit.